Don't Ask, Don't Tell??

Discuss anything here. The coffee's always hot!
Sandman
Date you made Chief: 15 SEP 2001
Rate/Rank/Warfare Desig: FCCS(SW)
First Name: Cliff
Duty Station: USS GONZALEZ (DDG-66)
Duty Status: Retired

Don't Ask, Don't Tell??

Post by Sandman »

Are the recent status changes of DADT something to be concerned about? What do you think? Is the furor over gays serving openly much the same as concerns from the 80's over women serving on combatants? What do you think? Since I am retired, it does not have a direct effect on me, but I have learned through facebook that many of my former shipmates are gay. Go figure. Their 'orientation' didn't seem to have any effect on their ability to do their job, stand their watch, etc. I began to think that these were many of the same arguments I heard in my early days about why women shouldn't serve on combatants. After serving on a ship with women, I found the concerns to be unnecessary. Any thoughts folks?
Sandman
krnl
Site Admin
Date you made Chief: 14Sep2001
Rate/Rank/Warfare Desig: FCC(SW)(RE-R1)
First Name: Rick
Duty Station: ATRC Dahlgren, VA
Duty Status: Honorably Discharged

Re: Don't Ask, Don't Tell??

Post by krnl »

I personally prefer that people keep their sexual orientation to themselves. I don't need to know, so don't tell me! This includes acting extremely flamboyant.

So, my personal policy is still DADT.
:pirate: Go Navy! :pirate:

Rick Sandlin (Formerly FCC(SW))
Buckeyebill
Date you made Chief: 16SEP1978
Rate/Rank/Warfare Desig: HMC
First Name: Bill
Duty Station: NAVRESCEN DULUTH, MN

Post by Buckeyebill »

You are right many fine Sailors past and present are gay but repealing DADT will open the gates for all kinds of freaks, transgender, shemales and others. It is inviting all kinds of problems and trust me when the floods start it will not stop..............
mcm1210
Date you made Chief: 15SEP1989
Rate/Rank/Warfare Desig: EMC (SS) (SW)
First Name: Michael
Duty Station: USS James K. Polk

Post by mcm1210 »

I don't see a problem with the repeal of DADT. I am certain that I served with many closeted homosexuals during my career, and, they served well despite the constant stress, fear, and indignity of having to repress thier true orientation. Look at the guy in the mirror tomorrow, and see the person who also served alongside gay sailors on a daily basis. While you are there, ask yourself...would you have acted any differently toward any of your fellow sailors if you knew that they were gay? If not, good on you. If so, then the problem isn't homosexuals in the service, it is with you and similar thinking sailors.

That said, I don't think that the problem is really with the culture, it is with the logistics. If openly gay members are in a committed relationship, is some states they may marry, and in others they may not. The marriages would not be valid in states in which they may be assigned, or even countries in which they are stationed. Likewise, with the changing role of sailors in which many find themselves serving "in country" with the army and spec forces, gays would properly live in fear for their lives of being outed in public. Wouldn't these issues make these members "undeployable"? Probably, in which case it would be enormously unfair to straight and closeted sailors. Finally, federal law does not recognize same sex marriage, so how will BAQ, Dependent status, health care, retiree benefits etc. be determined?

I don't think we can overlook these obstacles, and if we hastily repeal DADT without answers to these issues we will create an even larger disservice to these sailors who are already "persecuted", for lack of a better word. It is neither fear nor ignorance that are the big obstacles...it is current reality.
uss_jim
Date you made Chief: 16sep1986
Rate/Rank/Warfare Desig: ENCS(SW/AW)
First Name: James
Duty Station: NRD Pittsburgh, PA

Post by uss_jim »

In my nearly 28 years, I have seen many good sailors go away once it was discovered they were gay or lesbian. It wasn't because they "came out". It was due to witch hunts that routed them out. DADT should be repealed. It had no purpose then and it certainly doesn't now. The services are the losers here. We have become so phobic as a society and many of the old timers even more so. This is the wave of the future. By negating their worth as viable soldiers and sailors, the government is missoing out. Granted there are those flambouyant individuals, but we don't tolerate hetero flambouyancy either. Males can't regale in their conquests because of mixed gender commands. Gays would be held to the same standard. The issue is not whether they can perform. The issue is fear and bogotry at its finest. We are above that and should be tolerant.

Jim
tomtay
Date you made Chief: 16Aug2010
Rate/Rank/Warfare Desig: HTC(ss)
First Name: Thomas
Duty Station: NOSC
Duty Status: Reserves

Post by tomtay »

krnl wrote:I personally prefer that people keep their sexual orientation to themselves. I don't need to know, so don't tell me! This includes acting extremely flamboyant.

So, my personal policy is still DADT.
uss_jim
Date you made Chief: 16sep1986
Rate/Rank/Warfare Desig: ENCS(SW/AW)
First Name: James
Duty Station: NRD Pittsburgh, PA

Post by uss_jim »

The issue here is fear. If you read the report it alludes to based onthe sample size that about 12% of the military population lives an alternative lifestyle and many assume it to be greater than that. We don't put up with flambouyant hetersexuals openly bragging about their conquests. We are kinder and gentler these days. The same rules apply to gays and lesbians. Keep your conquests and activities to yourself. The open issues will be when couples attend command functions. It will be in the open, but conduct youself with proper decorum like everyone else. It is inevitable that all walks of life will be allowed to serve. Those openly vehement wil find themselves in hot water or it will be recommende dthey find other work.
boodasquid
Date you made Chief: 16SEP2006
Rate/Rank/Warfare Desig: MACS(SCW/SW)
First Name: Bill
Duty Station: NMCB 27

Post by boodasquid »

As the old saying goes, if it's not broken don't fix it. I don't see how allowing gays to be open with their sexual orientation will benefit our Navy. If anything I see it as a distraction. Call me old school or set in my ways, but, as was said in an earlier post, many gays have served and it didn't affect them doing their jobs under the DADT policy. So I say leave it alone and don't kick the sleeping dog.

Boodasquid